Categories

Tags

Data Validation Tool

Home Forums General Data Validation Tool

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Admin Admin 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Admin
    Admin
    Keymaster

All,
    Im working on a data migration project and Im looking for a tool that would allow us to validation of the data after the load. The target db is an Oracle database and I would like to be able to find a way to automate the process of validating each record that was added coming in from the extract file. Does anyone have experience in this or worked with a tool that would have this type of function.
    One path Im thinking of is to capture/playback to run the sql scripts and then compare the results on a line by line basis.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Profile photo of ou_ryperd
    ou_ryperd
    Participant

I usually do an extract from the source, extract from the target and then difef the two. Or you can data-link in Excel to create and import two sets of the same data (source & target), and then use an Excel formula to compare the result sets.
    Ive tested data warehouses like this with a lot of success.

Profile photo of Admin
    Admin
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info, excuse my ignorance but what is difef?
    Were starting now to look at the compare options in Excel so it sounds like that may be a fruitful direction to proceed in.

Profile photo of Chris_147
    Chris_147
    Participant

I just did a data migration project and I used Selenium with Excel (and some macros).
    But my project was a webbased app, so I also had to check the values in the application, and because of that Selenium was a good choice.
    So one row in Excel was the testcase that contained the keyphrase, input parameters and expected results (versus database and application user interface) Through the iSQL webinterface of Oracle I could enter the SQL queries on the new database.
    In my case testing all data was not possible because of the size of the databases. So I had to use Equivalence Partitioning and Boundary Value Analysis to find testcases.

Hope this helps you a bit…

Chris

Profile photo of ou_ryperd
    ou_ryperd
    Participant

Finger trouble, sorry: diff, not difef.

If you want I can send you an example of a spreadsheet. PM me.

Profile photo of Admin
    Admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

instedt off diff you can use [url=http://csvdiff.sourceforge.net/:3vy0i8xc]csvdiff[/url:3vy0i8xc], if you unload your data with a separator. The csvdiff output is in my opinion easyer to read.

Yours

Nuss

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New User?

Register
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!