Categories

Tags

Bug tracking – too many choices

Home Forums General Bug tracking – too many choices

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Admin Admin 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Admin
    Admin
    Keymaster

Weve been using Mantis for a while now (1000+ bugs) and are not really happy with it.
    Weve looked at Bugzilla but were afraid its going to be a configuration and maint nightmare.

If anyone has suggestions about a good open source bug tracker, highly customizable but easy to maintain, Id love to hear them.

Thanks

Profile photo of Admin
    Admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

we just installed flyspray for bugtracking, it works quite fine. Only the access control for having people see only the bugs from the project that they work on, is broken.

Profile photo of Admin
    Admin
    Keymaster

I have used alot of different bug tracking tools and Bugzilla is actually pretty good for simple bug tracking. Installing really wasnt too difficult- Windows is a bit trickier.

Issues I have had:

didnt see easy way to control classes of users from performing certain actions (like having a developer close a bug)

not being able to create global queries. (I worked around this by creating the query and then, doing some manual inserts in the DB to allow other users to access it as well.)

not very good release management integration. no easy way to create release numbers to have dev mark bug fixed in / bug verified in. (worked around this by creating keywords, but this was hard to maintain)

Profile photo of nicl
    nicl
    Participant

Buggit seems good although i dont have firsthand experience.

http://www.pb-sys.com – to check it out

Profile photo of Admin
    Admin
    Keymaster

Ive been working with Bugzilla for over 5 years now, across 3 different companies. Ive never had to do the installation so I cant speak to its ease or difficulty. But the developers and sysadmins that did do the installation/maintenance never complained (not like they did when having to user Mercury Test Director).

It does have limitations, some mentioned above. Access control is not mature. But weve always dealt with that by expecting people do not do things they should not do. A feature to associate a fix with a build/release would be nice. But its free, fast, and easy to use.

If you have a budget for these kinds of tools and want something more polished you might check out [url=http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBugz/index.html:2q6r0jkx]FobBugz[/url:2q6r0jkx] by Fog Creek Software. I have never worked with it but it looks pretty slick from the web site.

Profile photo of Admin
    Admin
    Keymaster

[quote="MPennington":284k6myt]Weve been using Mantis for a while now (1000+ bugs) and are not really happy with it.
    Weve looked at Bugzilla but were afraid its going to be a configuration and maint nightmare.

If anyone has suggestions about a good open source bug tracker, highly customizable but easy to maintain, Id love to hear them.

Thanks[/quote:284k6myt]

Not Cleary understand you.
    What do you need? What requirements?

There are many Bugtrackers (IssuTrackers) because many requirements and features. And some sourceforge project rise from its own firm reqirements.
    Such as: OS, Speed, only bugtracking, etc and so on.

Why you dont like Mantis, Bugzilla… and I think some others?

Im working at outsourcing compay, and seen many bugtackers and issuetrackers, and each company based its choice on some requirements and proccess features.

P.S. If you work on sourceforge project try to see JIRA.com , it is free for sourceforge project. And it is best example not only bug tracker…

Profile photo of PHPblast
    PHPblast
    Participant

If you want something easy and simple, try BugWiki. No install, just a simple sign-up. [url:5qsyv3hf]http://www.bugwiki.com[/url:5qsyv3hf]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New User?

Register
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!